Week 3: Squid Dress

I know, I know, I'm falling behind.  Let me live.


So it doesn't fit as snugly as I would normally make it, but I dance in this dress and wear a thick tutu under it, so I'm fine with it being a little loose.
This post will probably be more of a picture dump than anything, but I'll try to make sense of it all.  I was originally planning to have to draft the pattern, but I wound up finding a Simplicity Pattern (S8330) that had the exact type of bodice I was looking for, so I used that.  I did draft the skirt, but really I just made a circle skirt and cut some tentacles out of it.  I didn't have enough fabric to do it properly, which is why some of them are really short or really thin.


Original sketch for the dress.  Marine Biology fun fact of the day:  Squids have 8 arms and 2 tentacles.

So my goal this week was just to install the zipper back on a costume that I made for a Halloween dance last fall. Long story short, I made this before I brought my sewing machine with me to Florida, so making this originally was a hassle.  I wound up borrowing two machines from friends, one was a child's machine that couldn't handle sewing more than about 12 inches at a time, and another didn't have any sort of foot on it, and since I have the world's worst luck with breaking needles lately, I wound up sewing most of it by hand. Oh, and I only had 2 days to sew between actually cutting fabric to having to wear it for a swing dance. So it's safe to say the original had a lot of room for improvement.

There is only one good use for blue eyeshadow and that's to distract people from the fact that your dress is unfinished.

This week, all I wanted to do was reinstall the zipper so it wouldn't just be hand basted on.  I did get that done, so I'm calling this week a success.  I also pressed open the seams, gave the lining a good iron, hemmed the lining, and prepped it for later embellishing, which will probably be a later project, as well as redoing the tulle underskirt that went with it.

The sad mess of a squid I started with.

The inside needed some TLC.

For some reason when I sewed the skirt to the bodice, I had the seams pressed to the side instead of open which is really weird for me and I didn't notice until after I started pressing them open so oh well.

The lining didn't match up to the end, so I smoothed it down and pinned it so the lining wouldn't cause any pulling and the outer shell would lie nice and flat.

I quickly folded down and stitched the outer layer of the back opening so that when I installed the zipper, I wouldn't be left with a raw edge.

I also turned under and stitched the lining so that when I eventually sew it down, it will also not have a raw edge.
And it just occurred to me that even though installing the zipper was the main point of this post, I wound up not taking any pictures of that.  Oh well.

Since I already had everything I needed, which was the zipper, thread, and the costume, this is my first $0 project of the year!  Not really the point of the challenge, but I'll take some small victories.

Week 3 budget: $1.92
Week 3 spent: $0
Week 3 leftover: $1.92

January budget: $8.33
January spent: $10.57
January leftover: -$2.24

Year budget: $100
Year spent: $10.57
Year left: $89.43

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 7: Remnant Rumble Part 2: Mardi Gras

Week 2: Lemon Shark

Week 6: Remnant Rumble Part 1: Pink Paillette Top and Cinderella Skirt